April 13, 2012

Repainting furniture

Do you love to redo and paint furniture?
This is something I have loved as long as I can remember. Living on a farm, there were always maintenance, repainting etc to do. My dad hated painting and stayed miles away when mom and I pulled out the paint brush!
Since our house is 'new' (5 years this April since we moved in), I can't start repainting walls etc! I have some plans for the bedroom though... (to dear hubby's despair!)
I have been itching in my fingers to repaint a bookcase. Originally it was a varnished, glass-fronted bookcase belonging to hubby. His parents got it made in the early 1970's, and if not mistaken, it is mahogany. When I first saw it, I was thinking; PAINT!!!! It's not very common to paint wooden furniture here and it took some time before I was allowed to paint it - even touch it - LOL! :)) Sadly all the glass in the front doors are broken, but that's not a problem....
A few years back, I painted it 'Greek' blue (warm blue color, without green) - as you can see on the photo below. I painted it inside too, but left the shelves nature. I still love 'Greek' blue, but since it has to move to the bedroom, I want to repaint it in a lighter color.
Today I have sanded it and it is ready for the first coat of new paint. (That's the idea...)  


I have a few furniture to repaint. Another project is a chair from my farm.
I have no idea when the chair was made. I remember it was always there. Vague I can remember it was painted yellow, most probably by my paternal grandmother? My mother hated the light yellow color and painted it light blue and after some years she repainted it 'farm blue' (see photo below).


We have demonted the front porch swing as well... It's made of some kind of metal and in this wet and humid weather it had started to rust.
One coat of 'anti-rust' and paint it should be as good as 'new' again!
I forgot to take a photo of the swing.... do that tomorrow...
 

2 comments:

Elzaan said...

You are a woman of many talents. Sanding and painting your own furniture...that is what my hubby is for :) and he enjoys it. I'll stick to cooking and cleaning, and quilting off course.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I used to paint things but rarely do now although the chairs and swing on the porch could use an update come to think of it!
Karen