May 8, 2012

Guava jam

We have a couple of guava trees in our garden. One of them is the pink guava. The trees are rapid growers and gives fruit in 2-3 years from seed. I was surprised to learn that, because the tree we have is not more than this age and it already gave fruits last season. Ripe, pink guavas are delicious! One guava contains four times more vitamin C than to an orange.  

We harvested about 3 kilos last week. Those of you who are familiar with guava, knows the strong, sweet odor... The kitchen was covered in that sweet odor when I made guava jam. :)
Guavas washed,  cleaned and cut into pieces.
Look at those yummy colors! :)


Add sugar, vanilla pod and lemon juice. Bring to boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until berries/skin are tender. No need to remove the skin.


Add hot jam to clean, hot jars and close immediately.


Out of 2.5 kilos guava, I got 6 jars 370 grams.


I don't really have a recipe for the jam.
For the 2.5 kilos guava, I added not more than 400 grams sugar, one vanilla pod and juice from half a big lemon. I had a look at one recipe that calls for 50/50 guava/sugar! Geesh! Can't imagine how sweet that will be?! To me/us the jam turned out sweet enough as the berries themselves are sweet.  

No comments: