February 14, 2016

Crustless Savoury Tarts

Tuna and Pineapple Tart / Broccoli Tart
I'm cooking again!
Santa brought me a cookbook for Christmas last year and I have finally got around to try out one of the recipes.


My choice fell on a couple of tarts, made from the same recipe.
The recipe calls for Tune & Pineapple Tart and Asparagus Tart. Seldom do we get fresh asparagus at the local vegetable market and since I don't want to use tinned asparagus - the taste is awful - I went for fresh broccoli instead.

The recipes in this cookbook are low GI and low fat recipes. Interesting to learn pureed butter beans are used instead of flour to thicken and set these tarts as flour is very high in GI. I used dried and boiled butter beans for this recipe.  


Butter beans pureed together with half of the milk


Pureed butter beans, milk, eggs, mustard powder, salt and pepper - all mixed together in one bowl and then halve the mixture into two. 


Cayenne Pepper is not in the recipe, but it doesn't harm to add a little bit, does it? :)


Tuna flakes (drained) and fresh pineapple in cubes go into one of the mixture 


Doesn't harm to add some dried French herbs and a bay leaf either, for the taste


Sprinkled cheese and some herbs over and the Tuna & Pineapple tart is ready to bake


Broccoli Tart ready to bake


Out of the oven! Broccoli Tart to the left and Tuna & Pineapple Tart to the right.

The recipe below is from the book. I changed it a bit when I made the tarts, by adding cayenne pepper, French dried herbs and a bay leaf.
Since I didn't get fresh asparagus, I substituted asparagus with broccoli. 

For the taste, I must confess I don't really like tuna, but the pineapple seemed to cut off some of the strong tuna taste as well as the taste of eggs. It's delicious if you like tuna, but I don't think I will add that mix again. 
My favorite is the broccoli tart! Needles to say I love broccoli! :) 


RECIPE:

This recipe makes two delicious savory tarts without too much work.

250 ml (1 cup) canned or cooked butter beans, drained and pureed
200 ml (4/5 cup) fat-free milk
4 eggs
10 ml (2 t) mustard powder
5 ml (1 t) salt
2 ml (1/2 t) freshly ground black pepper
125 ml (1/2 cup) fresh pineapple pieces or canned pineapple, drained
1 x 170 g or 1 x 200 g can tuna in brine, drained 
200 g cooked asparagus or 1 x 410 g can asparagus, drained
120 g low-fat Cheddar cheese, grated

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 35 minutes.

Recipe from 'Eating for a Sustained Energy 2' by Gabi Steenkamp and Liesbet Delport.



1 comment:

Elzaan said...

You do the same as me: I read the recipe once and then follow my own ideas LOL
Those tarts looks delicious! I am sure you had a blast making them (and the tasting afterward ;) )