May 16, 2013

Gudrun's 'Quick Lunch' Cake / Kvikklunsj kake

 
 
The baking mojo has hit me hard, very hard! It can be weeks, sometimes months between each time I bake. I baked yesterday, and I baked today. MIL was asking; '...is that the only thing you are doing these days?!' LOL It was not in the plan to make the chocolate cake today, but..... I made this cake a couple of weeks ago; it became a disaster! :( I had bought 'all purposes' flour from the biggest distributor of flour on the island. By experience, I'm far from convinced about the flour here... Bread and cakes I have made 'at home', have always turned out better compared to here. I have questioned everything; all ingredients, even the electric oven, but never come up with a decent answer. Not until today! Today I used flour from another distributor and the cake came out just like it always have done 'at home'; moist and scrumptious! Just the way I love it! :)
Many of us remember Rod Stewart & Ron Wood's 'Every Picture Tells a Story' .... This cake has its own story too (for me). My childhood friend Marianne's mother; Gudrun, used to bake this cake ever so often. I used to come to their place often in the weekends to play. There were always visitors there, and always cakes! :) This cake is one of my favorites ever; very easy to make and it taste heavenly!
Wonderful memories from my childhood!  

 
Ingredients:
 
- 3 eggs
- 3-4 cups sugar
- 225 grams unsalted butter or margarine
- 1.5 cups milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp vanilla sugar or vanilla essence
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa
- 4 cups all purpose flour
 
Frosting:
 
300 grams icing sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa
- 100 grams unsalted butter or margarine
- 1-2 tbsp strong coffee
- 1.5 tsp vanilla sugar / or some drops vanilla essence
- rum essence to taste

Directions:

- beat the eggs and sugar together until it becomes thick
- melt butter and add it to the egg/sugar mix
- stir in dry ingredients together with the milk
- pour the batter into prepared pan
- bake for about 45 minutes (depending on your oven!) 180C / 355F

To make the frosting:

- melt butter/margarine
- sift dry ingredients and add to the melted butter/margarine
- add coffee, rum essence or vanilla essence
- stir well, use a mixer
- pour the frosting over the cake while it is still lukewarm
- decorate with desiccated coconut


 It tastes heavenly together with a cup of yummy coffee!  

  


No comments: